Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sotomayor misses the point

O.K., I'm just reading what Yahoo news says, but here is her response to questioning about the "Wise Latina" remark.

"It was bad because it left an impression that I believed that life experiences commanded a result in a case, but that's clearly not what I do as a judge,"


No. It was bad because she said that Latinas would reach better conclusions than a white male. I can't see how any sane person can question that our backgrounds may have some influence on a decision. Ideally judges are "above" that, but they are human. That's why judges have the option to recuse themselves. (And Sotomayor has been good at recusing herself in borderline cases, good for her). I am happy that her background may bring her to a slightly different view of the law. I object to her view that a specific race or ethnicity has a better view of the law.

Anyway, she will get confirmed and will likely make a good judge.

No comments: