Friday, May 7, 2010

I disagree with McCain and Lieberman

I often agree with Senators McCain and Lieberman, who are more-or-less centrists (by US standards) and are more willing to cross party lines and compromise than many.  And, I'm not against trying non-citizen terrorists as enemy-combatants with less rights than US citizens.  However, I disagree with their recent proposal to try US citizens, such as Faisal Shahzad as enemy combatants.

For better or worse, Faisal Shahzad is a US citizen, entitled to all the rights in the US Constitution and relevant state laws.

But, I'd like to point out the following:  Shahzad, as a US citizen, allegedly "levied War against the United States" and "adhering to their Enemies", and, if true, is guilty of treason.  If the facts support it, he should be changed as a traitor.

"The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason" and it's a capital offense

No comments: