Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm not getting excited about the Giants this year

Even though they are a good team making a great playoff run, I'm finding it difficult to get too enthused.  Why?  Most of their hitters aren't "real" Giants, who have come up from the minors and you've been able to follow as they develop.  Few of them have played even a year for the team.  I'm not feeling a "connection".

Check out their roster.  Or, even better, the box score from tonight's game.

Cody Ross joined the Giants August 22nd.  One month ago.
Freddy Sanchez joined them late 2009.  So he's been here roughly a year.
Aubrey Huff joined the beginning of 2010
Buster Posey is a real Giant.  Hooray!
Pat Burrell joined the middle of 2010
Jose Guillen joined the Giants the middle of August of this year.
Pablo Sandoval is a real Giant.  (Except he's awful right now)
Juan Uribe is an "old-timer", he's been with the Giants now for two years, even if he didn't come up through their minor-league system.

So, of their eight starting fielders, only two came up through the Giant's minor-league.  Of the others, only one has been for the team much longer than a year.


Now, I enjoy following the Giant's pitchers, cause, for the most part, I've been able to follow their development, their struggles and their successes.  For example, I feel some pride and joy seeing Jonathan Sanchez harness his talent to achieve well-deserved success, since I've also seen him struggle.  There's a connection there.  But I could care less how Jose Guillen or Mike Fontenot does.

I'd like to see them make the playoffs, but I won't be rooting as hard as usual.

No comments: