Sunday, March 15, 2009

Be careful what you wish for

Looks like democracy is trying to break out across Pakistan. I don't know what will happen, nor does anybody else, but as an optimist I like to think that, in the long run, the government following the will of the people is a good thing. My friend Ray may differ. See his blog for more up to date details. It sounds like Sharif is willing to step down as leader of the PML (at least not to run for office) in return for concessions. Good on him if this is really putting democracy and an indepedent judiciary in front of his own personal iterests. It at least looks good.

I can't claim any credit from my earlier post on the cricket team attack, since I don't think any Pakistanis have read it. But it does look like the Pakistani people are awake. Lets hope it leads to a good, or at least a tolerable, conclusion.

No comments: