Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baseball (and Fantasy Baseball) Returns

It has stopped raining here in California, it's getting warmer, and baseball has started, meaning that, for a short while, all will be well in the world.  Right now the Giants are in first place and the A's only a half game out.  :-)

Last year I played in my first fantasy baseball league and had a great time.  I joined the league in the third week, so last year I wasn't involved in the draft.  This year I was.  It was an automated "make your list" draft, so the results were, let us say "interesting".  Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out, but the ESPN computer made a few choices differently than I would have made in person.

Last year pitching was very important in this league, with fairly standard head-to-head (not 5x5) scoring rules.  We tweaked the rules (e.g., dropping a win from +10 to +5 points) in an attempt to make pitching less important, but it looks like it was still highly valued by the participants.  Originally, I had bumped starting pitchers up the list, but then dropped many back to end up slightly above their normal slots.  I also downgraded any first-baseman not named Albert, figuring that if I didn't get him there were plenty of good 1B options available, mentally targeting Kendry Morales.  I downgraded most catchers not named Joe - figured if I didn't get him I'd target Montero or Suzuki.  I bumped up Pablo Sandoval, Ben Sheets, Ben Zobrist, Jason Hayward, Cliff Lee and Tommy Hanson.  For each round I said "pick best available" instead of targeting any special position.

Here's a link to the results.  I'm "Boomers Wallbangers" picking 6th. 

Round 1: Lincecum going #1 was a surprise.  Fred Lynns picking King Felix is a minor surprise, but she won last year with pitching, so I bet she ranked him and Timmy in the top three.  I know I had ranked A-Rod, Halladay, Braun and Mauer in the top-10, and A-Rod fell to me.

Round 2:  Verlander and Votto seem a bit of a stretch here.  My computer somewhat strangely picked yet another third basemen, Evan Longoria.  Hey, I grew up loving Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt, so having the two best third-basemen in the game is cool, if a bit redundant.  If I were picking, I'd probably go with Teixeira or Upton here for better balance.

Round 3:  I'm a bit surprised that Wainwright went here, before some other pitchers like CC and Greinke.  And, IMO, drafting K-Rod here is too early.  I'm very happy with Matt Holliday.

Round 4:  Three elite pitchers this late are good bargains.  Glad I got one.

Round 5:  I'm happy with Cliff Lee here, and Chris Carpenter and Victor Martinez also look like a good picks.  The Detroit Comets are clearly going for relievers early, which might be interesting in a year when Nathan, Lidge and and Street are hurt, but why aren't they picking Riviera or Papelbon?

Round 6: I'm happy with Zobrist.  A good hitter and love his positional flexibility.  McCann and Ethier also seem like good picks.  Mariano Rivera might be a bit early, but at least he's an elite closer.

Round 7: I get Kendry Morales, somewhat as planned.  Lets hope he lives up to his "undervalued" rep.  If I had been picking in person I'd be pissed that Matt Cain went two slots before.  Broxton goes before Papelbon.  Peraps reasonable, but a surprise cause many in the league are from Boston.  Or maybe they are sick of Papelbon?

Round 8: Apparently I rated Tommy Hanson above Ubaldo Jimenez.  I like both and am glad I got one.

Round 9:  Derrek Lee is o.k., one of the last "good, reliable" 1B.  In person, I might have gone for Soria instead, and would be upset that Torii Hunter went just before.

Round 10: Feels about right for Manny.  In person I might have tried Bailey, but the outfield needs bodies.

Round 11: We will see if Wieters or Suzuki plays better this year.  As an As fan, I probably rate Kurt too highly, but last year I pointed another team towards him (I had Victor Martinez) and he killed me in the playoffs.  In person, with relievers going early in this league, I would have been tempted by Heath Bell.

Round 12:  O.K., this is a computer mistake.  Miguel Montero is a fine catcher, perhaps even better than Suzuki, but I don't need two "top-seven" catchers, only one.  Peavy and Lackey, who go just before me,  look like good picks.

Round 13:  I like Asdrubal Cabrera here.  In person, with relievers going early, I'd probably have picked Brian Wilson instead, or maybe Carlos Gonzales for the outfield.

Round 14:  Yunel Escobar is good.  My infield is looking solid.  Sorry I missed Brett Anderson.  IMO, the last two Detroit Comets picks are excellent.

Round 15:  I like a lot of the picks this round.  In person, I'd be pissed that yet another reliever went one pick before, but Shields is a good pick this late.  Be interesting to compare him, Garza and Jair Jurgens at the end of the year.

Round 16:  Several good pitchers go here.  Again, be interesting to compare how Jered Weaver, Burnett, Hudson, Oswalt and Harden end up.  (I predict Huddy)

Round 17:  Relief!  I finally get Qualls, a decent quality closer.  Nice to have at least one.

Round 18:  I'm very happy to get an exciting Jason Heyward here.  If he flops, who cares, I got to follow him anyway.  I don't win any money in Fastasy Baseball, may as well get some players you love.  In person, I would have considered Francisco, but my outfield is still thin, so Heyward is, hopefully, a good pick.  I can understand Fuentes falling so low with Rodney in the wings, (I think he's a good pick this late) but its interesting that Ryan Franklin has also fallen so far

Round 19:  Hard to argue with Porcello as another good young pitcher with upside.

Round 20:  Several more decent pitchers.  As an As fan, I rated Sheets higher, but, objectively, De La Rosa, Lilly and Jackson may turn out better.  Again, wait till the end of the year!  Cody Ross seems a good pick here.

From here on out, it's mainly the computer rankings in action, as I didn't tweak the bottom of the draft list very much.

Round 21:  In person I would have considered Martin Prado, but the computer probably felt the infield was full and I do need bodies in the outfield.  (but see round 23)  Rivera is o.k. for an Angel.  :-)

Round 22:  In person I probably gamble on Matusz.  Apparently Kuroda is rated higher on the standard points.

Round 23: Scutaro?  Well, I like him, but not like I need a spare middle infilder.  I hope!  Maybe somebody else will.

Round 24:  In person, at this point I like my starters, so I would take a "high-upside" gamble on Liriano or Chapman.  But Niemann seems a solid, "o.k." pick this late.

Round 25:  Here random relievers go and you may not know who has won the closer role.  Neftali Feliz is one of the few non-closers who are worth having, so I'm vaguely o.k. with the pick  Joel Pinero looks to be a good pick.  Darned Fred Lynns, despite their name, have an eye for good pitching.  But, it's interesting that Chapman is still available till next round.

Round 26:  Kevin Gregg will probably be a complete waste unless he wins the closer job at Toronto.  In person, I either pick Franklin Morales as a temporary closer, else I gamble on Bedard.  Aroldis Chapman is a great "high gain, little to lose" pick.

Round 27:  Apparently, Matt Diaz is the highest rated outfielder remaining, and I need one.  Doesn't look like I missed out on anybody else.

No comments: