Monday, April 12, 2010

Fantasy Baseball Update

I won the first week, despite my opponent having the red hot Vernon Wells.  There have been several roster changes for my team.

With Cliff Lee on the DL, there was a free spot, and, in an attempt to beef up the outfield, I tried to get Nick Swisher, but lost out on him to another team with higher waiver priority.  So I picked up Milton Bradley, a high-risk, high-reward player.  Right now he's looking just high-risk.

Another team then dropped Carlos Gonzales, and I snapped him up, dropping Matt Diaz who hasn't played much this year, and likely won't with Heyward in the Atlanta outfield.  So now my outfield is Holiday, Manny, Juan Rivera, Heyward and CarGon, with Bradley in reserve.  That seems like a good mix of two excellent veterans, a solid performer, two exciting young talents, and a complete wildcard.  I also dropped Kevin Gregg, the non-closer in Toronto, to pick up Franklin Morales, the interim Colorado closer, pending the return of Street.

And I had one fairly big trade.  Another team needed infield help, and Scutaro was largely sitting on my bench.  So I traded Scut and Roy Oswalt for Brett Anderson.  I'm hoping that this is a pitching upgrade for me, and Oswalt is bit of an injury risk playing for a bad team.  But Oswalt has looked pretty good so far this year.  I think it's a fair trade that should help both teams, but time will tell.  Last year this league had very few trades, it will be interesting to see if the two additional teams change that.

My "problem" of having two good catchers was quickly solved when Miguel Montero, my round 12 draft pick, went down for at least six weeks, probably longer.  The bad news is he's no longer worth anything in a trade.  The good news is that I had one spot open on the DL, and this opened up a spot to take a gamble on Justin Duchscherer, a two start pitcher for this week.

The other "interesting" news is that Neftali Feliz will, for the time being, close for Texas.  The rate closers have been blowing saves and losing games this year, that may not be a huge benefit.  But I now have three closers: Qualls, Morales and Feliz.  One of them (Qualls) is pretty solid.  This is still an area of concern but hopefully one of the others will pan out.

No comments: